Drawstring bags are a great way to turn your fabric scraps into something useful. You can use them to organize your handbag, store earphones, usb-sticks, accessories, hair-ties, and so much more. They also make great reusable gift bags!
Here’s a little size guide (please note: 0.5cm seam allowance on each long side and 1.5 cm S.A on the short sides is already included)
Small: 25 x 10 cm (i.e. use for jewelry or hairpins)
This is my first attempt at making a tailored garment, and I did encounter a few hiccups before long. In the end, I’m very pleased how it turned out, and I think I’d give it a 9/10.
For fabric I used a burgundy/plum wool blend with around 30% of actual wool content which I like very much. I got it on eBay, and it was just about £7/metre it’s also a great “practice fabric”, since you don’t want to risk a £20/metre wool on the first try.
For lining, I found a pretty matching polka dot print, which gave the coat just the right mood so to speak. A little playful and quirky, but at the same time enhancing that vintage fell I was going for.
Who else has a huge pile of tiny fabric scraps they don’t want to throw away? I know I have. With this quick and easy DIY you will be able to convert some of them into cute heart hangings or garlands, perfect for Valentine’s day. Watch the video to find out how!
If you’ve been following my blog or Youtube Channel for a while, you might have seen my first zip-tie corset, which, alas, due to lack of sewing experience and pattern fitting, turned out more like a straight tube.
I’ve learned a lot about garment construction since then, including the strategic use of curves, so a corset holds it’s shape automatically, without heavy boning. The victorians were masters at this art, and thus, most period corsets were only lightly boned with whalebone, or even cording, relying on the pattern to give shape to the corset.
I decided to try again, and this time (hopefully) construct a proper corset. Due to budget, I ended up using zip-ties again, since the texture is nearly the same a synthetic whalebone, and MUCH cheaper. I also, for the first time, bought a proper busk, though not a spoon busk, which again, was too expensive.
It’s been a while since I’ve actually posted anything here, but today, I’m back with a brand-new Christmas tutorial: how to make these cute patchwork star ornaments. They’re very easy and quick to make, and can be used for so many things such as tree ornaments, gifts, or even festive pincushions!
Flower embroidery can seem quite daunting, especially if you’re a beginner. In today’s video, you’ll learn three easy and beautiful flowers to embroider. The great thing about these is that they take so little time, so you’ll not get tired of them easily, and lets you break down your project into small portions.
I recently finished a Pride and Prejudice inspired regency gown from about 1810, and if you’ve been watching my Youtube channel lately, you might also have seen the dressing up and construction videos. For those of you who haven’t you can watch them both below.
The construction was medium-fast, it took 3 days of sewing plus a little afterwork, so I probably spent 16-18 hours making it, but it was worth it. The materials I used are not 100% historically accurate as I used a cotton-blend for lining the bodice, and another cotton-blend voile for the dress itself. This probably makes the dress less comfortable than the ones actually worn at the time, though it did a great difference to the cost of materials.
For now, the dress has puffed short sleeves, though I plan on making sleeve extensions very soon. These were frequently found on regency garments, allowing the same dress to adapt to different weather conditions.
Back in the day, a woman would wear up to 6(!) petticoats under her dress, to archive that bell-shaped silhouette. Crinolines were not yet invented, they would make their debut in a few years.
Meanwhile, women solved this problem with wearing a lot of petticoats, some of them stiffened, either through quilting several layers together, of by inserting endless rows of “cording” between two layers of fabric.
All this had to be done by hand, I dread to think of the time they needed to sew one petticoat like that. I’m fortunate enough to have a sewing machine, but even so, I was not prepared to go to such lengths.
So I decided to go with horsehairbraid instead of cording, inserting only four rows in total. I’m quite pleased with how this turned out, though of course it’s not historically accurate. Below, you can watch the construction video. Enjoy!
Happy new year everyone! Last autumn I made an 1840s day dress, filming the process. Now I finally got around to editing all that footage, so in the following weeks I’ll be uploading a lot of “making of” videos on my Youtube Channel and on here. Today the first part of the series went live: making the corset.
As I didn’t want to invest in metal boning for multiple reasons, I boned the corset with a couple of heavy-duty cable ties my brothers still had left over. I just managed to cut them with ordinary scissors.
I decided to make a late victorian corset, as I didn’t like the ones used in early victorian times. Also, I will be able to use it for all kinds of future dresses, not just the 1840s dress.
First I made the paper pattern, which I also used as a mock-up. Then I cut everything out from white cotton fabric, later the lining of my coset, and finally I made the satin outside. I added about one bone per inch of waist, as a rule of thumb says, and some decorative flossing along the top and bottom edges.